Map: Hazmat situation
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The Scottsdale and Phoenix fire departments responded to a meat storage plant after workers started complaining of headaches Friday morning.
One worker drove himself to a hospital before hazardous-materials crews arrived at the plant near Hayden and Redfield roads in Scottsdale at around 7 a.m.
Nine workers were evaluated and three were transported to area hospitals with symptoms that were not life-threatening, according to Scottsdale Fire Department Division Chief Jay Ducote.
Hazmat crews detected high readings of carbon monoxide in the warehouse. The area was ventilated, but Ducote said it took a while to get the CO to normal levels.
The problem was isolated to a propane-powered forklift and it was taken out of service for inspection.
Workers eventually were allowed back into the building.