Good Samaritans save occupants, dog from Phoenix duplex fire


by Jennifer Thomas

Video report by Ryan O'Donnell

Posted on January 13, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jan 14 at 12:30 PM

Map: Duplex fire

View larger map

PHOENIX – Good Samaritans helped save two people and a dog from a fire in Phoenix Monday morning.

The Phoenix Fire Department responded to a report of a duplex on fire near 19th Avenue and Mountain View Road at about 9 a.m. When crews arrived, they found good Samaritans helping the occupants evacuate.

According to a spokesman with the Phoenix Fire Department, Nolan Woolfolk was driving by when he saw the fire and stopped to help. He began to knock on doors and when no one answered in an adjacent apartment, he feared someone might be asleep inside.

Woolfolk and another neighbor broke the front window and opened the door. Woolfolk searched the smoke-filled apartment. No one was at home, but he did find a dog locked in its crate.

Woolfolk carried the dog out to safety and notified the firefighters on scene. The dog was taken care of by Fire Department personnel until the owner arrived an hour later. 

No one was injured, but three occupants and the dog were displaced.

It appears the fire started on the outside near a wood fence, according to fire officials.