GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A 2-year-old Glendale boy is recovering after he was seriously burned by hot soup.
It happened Wednesday afternoon near 61st Avenue and Ocotillo Road.
According to the Glendale Fire Department, the boy pulled the soup out of the microwave and it spilled on his arms.
He received second-degree burns to nearly 20 percent of his body and was airlifted to the Maricopa County Medical Center Burn Unit.
The Glendale Fire Department said scald injuries impact all ages but young children and the elderly are most vulnerable. Most burns occur in the home, usually in the kitchen or bathroom.
Fire officials said scalds can be prevented through increased awareness of hazards and by making simple environmental or behavioral changes.
Residents can take the following steps to ensure their home is safe and to prevent a scalding injury:
• Set water heater at lowest level. Water temp should never rise above 120 degrees in residences and 110 degrees in nursing homes/day cares.
• Always establish a “kid-safe” zone in the kitchen, keep all children at least 3 feet from any cooking appliance.
• Use the back burners when possible.
• Turn pot/pan handles toward back of stove.
• Avoid using tablecloths. Children can use these to pull hot object down on them.
• Do not warm baby bottles in the microwave.
• Do not hold a child while cooking or carrying a hot beverage.