SURPRISE, Ariz. -- A massive house fire broke out in Surprise Tuesday evening, bringing huge flames and powerful explosions.
The fire broke out just after 7:00 p.m. near 163rd Avenue and Jomax.
Firefighters initially got up on the roof to pull off roof tiles in an attempt to release all that heat from inside. The crews were actually on the roof when flames started shooting through the roof.
Firefighters came down from the roof without injury. Everyone inside the home escaped without injury as well.
The fire apparently started in the garage. Fire officials say two people who live at the home were working on a car in the garage. They then left the house and went to a neighbor's house. But while they were gone, something in the garage exploded.
"Huge boom. House shook," remembers neighbor Rachel Socha. "I thought it was actually my kids jumping around upstairs. Ran outside, saw the big plume of smoke. The flames shot right about the tree-line. It was crazy."
"When it happened, I mean, it blew the garage door right off," said another neighbor, Charlotte Ezell . "It was immediately engulfed; I mean, you could feel the heat. The smoke was just horrendous."
Gusty winds were also a concern for crews battling the blaze. Winds gusted up to 25 miles an hour, but the fire was contained to the one home.