PHOENIX -- Crews from the Phoenix Fire Department were called to a business near Sky Harbor Airport Tuesday evening to check out a hazardous materials situation.
It happened at Summit Chemical Specialty near 29th Street and Washington.
A tank inside the water purification company reportedly overheated, causing a small fire. That fire resulted in a chemical reaction. Fire officials tell us the chemicals involved were aluminum, hydrochloric acid and water.
“What happened tonight has never happened before, which clearly means that they got a shipment of some bad chemicals," says Phoenix Fire Captain John Teefy. "So, they mixed some chemicals that they shouldn’t have. What happened was because it caused heat to build up in the tank to make hydrogen gas, which then flashed, slightly burning one of the employees. He’s fine."
No evacuations were reported. Crews says there are no air quality concerns, and no one in the surrounding area was at risk.