Fan in bathroom sparked fire at vacant house in Phoenix

Print
Email
|

by Jill Galus

Bio | Email | Follow: @jillgalus

azfamily.com

Posted on July 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Updated Monday, Jul 14 at 8:43 AM

Map: 22nd Street and Greenway

View larger map

PHOENIX -- The mystery behind an early morning Phoenix house fire, where no one was home at the time, is solved.

The house caught fire after 6 a.m. Friday at 22nd Street and Greenway Road.

Firefighters say no one currently lives in the home. It is up for sale.

Investigators say a real-estate professional has been showing the home to potential buyers and it appears an exhaust fan in the ceiling was left on inside a bathroom during one of the recent visits.

With the fan constantly running, it caused a vent in the bathroom to overheat and spark.

Flames spread through the attic, causing significant damage to the roof.

Damage to the inside of the house is minimal.

Print
Email
|