Dropped cigarette possibly to blame for apartment fire; woman, dog injured

Print
Email
|

by Catherine Holland

azfamily.com

Posted on July 11, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Updated Monday, Jul 14 at 8:43 AM

Map: 92nd Street, north of Shea

View larger map

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A woman and her dog are being treated for smoke inhalation after an early morning fire that was possibly sparked by a dropped cigarette inside a Scottsdale apartment.

It happened just after 3 a.m. Friday at the Scottsdale Mission Apartments at 93nd Street and Shea Boulevard.

Although firefighters contained the flames and damage to a single unit, residents of surrounding apartments were temporarily evacuated as a precaution.

The resident of the unit was taken to a local hospital. Her dog was taken to an emergency veterinary clinic. Both suffered smoke inhalation.

Investigators have not determined what sparked the fire, but early indications are that a smoldering cigarette that had been dropped might be to blame.

No other injuries were reported.

Print
Email
|