Dogs rescued from fire at hoarder house

Print
Email
|

by Mike Gertzman

Video report by Jill Galus

Posted on June 4, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Updated Wednesday, Jun 4 at 6:14 PM

Map: House fire

View larger map

PHOENIX -- Firefighters rescued five dogs while battling hoarding conditions at a house fire early Wednesday morning.

The fire was at 3rd and Grant streets.

"Crews made a quick attack at the front door where we encountered unfortunately the homeowner had some hoarding issues which is dangerous for firefighters," said Capt. Rob McDade with the Phoenix Fire Dept.

A neighbor called 911 to report the fire. He did not know if the owner was home and feared she may be trapped inside.

"We kicked the door in and were immediately encountered by falling debris, newspaper, boxes stacked all the way to the ceiling. It appeared to be a maze of how to get through the house." said Capt. McDade.

The homeowner was working nearby and when she got to the property she told firefighters there were five dogs inside.

Firefighters found four dogs right away and were able to rescue the fifth dog after conducting a second search of the home.

"It started in the kitchen and it looks like she had a swamp cooler that runs twenty-four-seven and it overheated started the fire spread in throughout the house," explained Capt. McDade.

Crews vented the home through the windows and were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

Capt. McDade said the fire damaged about 40 percent of the home and the homeowner will not be able to live there.

Print
Email
|