Cigarettes blamed for Glendale warehouse fire


by Jaime Cerreta

Bio | Email | Follow: @CerretaNews

Posted on December 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Updated Thursday, Dec 19 at 12:12 PM

Map: Warehouse fire

View larger map

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Firefighters said that cigarettes disposed of in the bed of a pickup truck caused a fire at a warehouse Monday evening.

That truck had gasoline, tar, and roofing supplies in it.

The warehouse, near 67th and Northern avenues was rented by the New Life Roofing Company.

"Once you find out it's a commercial structure and that it's a roofing business there's lots of hazards in there whether it be the chemicals, machinery, the vehicles, lots of things that get firefighters hurt," said Michael Young with the Glendale Fire Dept.

It took about 60 firefighters about 30 minutes to get the blaze under control. They had some trouble getting through the secure doors before they could even get to the fire.

"Once they were in there they had smoke down to the floor. They had zero visibility." said Young.

Young said firefighters had to use a thermal imaging camera to find the fire.

Nobody was injured.

No word on the cost of the damage.

Facebook: Glendale Fire Dept.