Cigarette likely responsible for Glendale house fire

House fire

Credit: Glendale Fire Department

A cigarette is likely to blame for a house fire in Glendale.

Print
Email
|

by Jennifer Thomas

azfamily.com

Posted on July 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Updated Wednesday, Jul 10 at 5:21 PM

Map: House fire

View larger map

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Officials with the Glendale Fire Department said a cigarette likely was responsible for a house fire Sunday morning.

Firefighters responded to a fire near Peoria and 63rd avenues and found heavy fire and smoke throughout the home.

The fire spread to the backyard and ignited the propane tank for the barbecue grill before firefighters could extinguish it.

The fire likely was caused by a cigarette that was not properly put out prior to the occupant leaving for work, according to officials.

The Glendale Fire Department shared the following safety tips:

• Never smoke inside.

• Wherever you smoke, use deep ashtrays and always place them on something that is sturdy and non-flammable. Remember, chairs and couches burn fast and easily catch on fire.

• Make sure cigarettes and ashes are completely out before leaving ashtrays unattended.

• Never smoke anywhere where oxygen is being used, even if the oxygen is turned off.

• Do not smoke if you are sleepy, have been drinking alcohol or have taken medication that can make you drowsy.

Print
Email
|