PHOENIX – It appears that a cigarette is to blame for an overnight trailer fire in Phoenix.
Firefighters responded to a fire near 15th Avenue and Hatcher Road around 4 a.m. Friday. Crews found a trailer with heavy fire and three structures in close proximity, according to Phoenix fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra.
Crews attacked the fire from three different locations and isolated it with minor damage to exposures.
Two occupants of the trailer said they believed the fire started from a cigarette in bed.
Improper disposal of smoking materials is the leading cause of fire fatalities in the country, according to Saavedra.
There were no reported injuries, but the two residents were displaced.