PHOENIX -- The Arizona State Fair opens Friday at noon at the Arizona State Fairgrounds, 19th Avenue and W. McDowell Rd. in Phoenix.
No State Fair would be complete without some freaky fried foods. This year Fair organizers may have outdone themselves with some new additions to the menu, including a Maggot Melt, Deep Fried Watermelon wedge on-a-stick, deep fried Koolaid, and deep fried Captain Crunch. See below for a complete list of new deep fried delicacies.
The 2011 Fair Concert Series line-up features artists from a wide variety of musical genres, including country music stars Trace Adkins, Darius Rucker, and The Band Perry. Big name rock artists and bands, including Bret Michaels, Billy Idol, 3 Doors Down, and heavy metal pioneers, Judas Priest will rock out in Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Hip Hop king Snoop Dogg and pop music stars, Big Time Rush are also slated to perform. Old School Jam will return with high energy performances by Stevie B., Lisa Lisa, Debbie Deb, Tone Loc, and Young MC.
Arizona State Fair Information
- 2011 Arizona State Fair is open from October 14 until November 6
- Gates open at 10 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays
- The fair is closed Mondays and Tuesdays
- Gates open at noon Wednesdays through Fridays, and 10 a.m.
- Opening Day Special: Admission is $1 until 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 14.
- 3TV Thursdays - Admission is free until 1 p.m., plus special game and ride discounts
- Regular admission is $10 for adults and $5 for kids (5-13) and seniors (55+)
- Sundays: Admission is free 10 a.m. to noon.
- October 27. $2 Admission for Seniors (55+)
The 2011 Arizona State Fair New Food List
- Peanut Butter Pops
- Deep Fried Gravy
- Viking Balls (Deep fried meatballs)
- Hot Jalapeno Sticks (frybread)
- Deep Fried Watermelon wedge on-a-stick with strawberry and powdered sugar topping
- Captain Crunch hamburger
- Deep fried Captain Crunch and Fruity Pebbles
- Deep fried pudding and pretzels
- Mambo Italiano -- World’s largest wood fired pizza 6 ft long and 24 in wide – Pizza challenge; equivalent to 17 pizzas. – Challenge: 2 people eat within 30 min., get pizza free and t-shirts. $100
- Spicy Italiano- 14” pizza with Ghost pepper – Guinness Book of Records hottest hot sauce – Pizza challenge: get t-shirt “I ate the world’s spiciest pizza”
- Curly Dough – basket of curly deep fried dough with powdered or cinnamon sugar (crunchy)
- Chocolate Cotton Candy
- Deep Fried Carmel Apples
- Candy Apple Ice Cream
- Deep Fried Koolaid
- Giant Gummy Bears
- Maggot Melt Sandwich
- Deep Fried Skittles
- Deep Fried Jolly Ranchers
- Deep Fried Energy Drink
- Deep Fried Bubble Gum
- Chocolate dipped Pickles
- Chocolate dipped cheese
- Chocolate chip bacon ice cream sandwich
- Fried and steamed artichokes
- Fried eggplant
- Eggplant Parmesan or artichoke sandwich
- Grilled panini's
- Caramel bacon donut