PHOENIX -- Two people were taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at their west Phoenix home Sunday.
William Pranke said he was driving home when he saw smoke coming from a house near 42nd and Northern avenues.
The fire reportedly started in the back of the house while the residents were sleeping and quickly spread.
"Just get everybody out of the house. That's all I cared about was making sure everybody was safe," he said.
Pranke banged on the front door but said the man and his mother kept running back inside the burning home to save their dogs.
According to Pranke, one dog got out of the home but the other was found dead underneath a bed.
"These people really put themselves in harm's way," said Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra.
The man also injured his leg in the fire.
"I hate to say this, but the animal's not worth your life," Pranke said.
Firefighters are calling Pranke a hero for rushing to help.
"I look at it this way, If I needed help, I wish somebody would do that for me," he said.