PHOENIX -- One person was critically injured in an early morning fire at Phoenix Motel 6.
It happened at about 6:30 a.m. in the area of Interstate 17 and Northern Avenue.
Details were not immediately available, but aerial video from the scene showed paramedics working on a patient outside while firefighters checked rooms on two floors of the hotel.
According to Phoenix Fire Capt. Tony Mure, the 25-year-old man was not breathing when firefighters forced entry into his second-floor room. Firefighters said the victim was asleep when the fire broke out and suffered severe smoke inhalation and possibly some burns. That man was in critical condition when paramedics took him to a local emergency room.
While the fire was contained to one room, the entire hotel was evacuated as a precaution. It's not clear how many people were affected.
Muir said crews hoped to allow people back into their rooms in a couple of hours.
It's not known what sparked the fire, but early indications are that an air-conditioner might be to blame.
"It's near the A/C unit and by the bedroom towards the front door is the initial most fire damage," Mure explained. "They're going to have to rule out if that was part of the cause of the fire."
It's not clear if the smoke detector in the victim's room sounded when the fire started.
A family staying in a room on the other side of the building said their smoke alarm did not go off when smoke started pouring into their room. Members of that family suffered mild smoke inhalation and were headed to the hospital as a precaution.