PHOENIX -- Finding a job is no easy task.
Details matter. 3TV's Tess Rafols rounded up tips from the experts to help give you an edge.
LocalWork.com is a good place to start. It is dedicated to connecting qualified potential employees with companies that are looking to hire.
"There's an enormous amount of qualified talent here," LocalWork.com founder and president Ryan Naylor told Rafols. "We want to make sure you stay here in Arizona."
To that end, LocalWork.com is hosting a job fair on Monday, March 31. That's a little less than three weeks away.
Companies from all over the Valley will be hiring for some 1,000 positions. The free Greater Phoenix Job Fair is 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Phoenix Airport Marriott, 1101 N. 44th Street, Phoenix. This is event one of several LocalWork.com puts on throughout the year.
Naylor and Appointment-Plus recruiting manager Jennifer Rojas shared several tips to help you make the most of that event.
Body language tips
- Don't look like a bum
- Get your head on straight
- Give a firm handshake
- Pay attention to posture; don't slouch
How to get a call back after that first interview
- Be excited and engaged
- Eye contact is important
- Arrive a little early
- Be self confident
- Research company and prepare talking points.
- Be yourself
- Follow up via email or phone
Ramp up your resume
- First impression is key
- Make sure paper is clean and smooth
- Focus on value over function
- Promote volunteer work
- Customize your message for the job you want; don't use a generic resume
- Be concise; keep it to one page
How to use social media
- Understand that it can make and break your job search
- Clean up your LinkedIn profile; use it for networking
- Be careful what you post on other social profiles (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Use other social profiles to show community engagement
- Use hashtags to show industry relevance and engage with others