Saving Arizona Blood Drive
Thanks to a partnership with The Phoenix Symphony, United Blood Services donors will "Hear the Sweet Sound of Saving Lives" when they donate at the Saving Arizona blood drive on Sat., Nov. 10, 8am - 1pm, at Phoenix Symphony Hall. All donors will receive a voucher for two tickets to a Phoenix Symphony performance in appreciation for giving blood leading up to Thanksgiving holiday. All Donors Also Automatically Entered to Win 50,000 Marriott Rewards Points Kid's Play Area
Sat., Nov. 10, 8:00am - 1:00pm
Phoenix Symphony Hall: 75 N. 2nd St., Phoenix
To make a donation appointment for Nov. 10, call 1-877-UBS-HERO (1-877-827-4376) or visit www.BloodHero.com
Dr. Jason McCargar
Dr. Jason McCargar, DMD, is from Scottsdale Dental Arts. For more information, visit www.ScottsdaleDentalArts.com. Here is his best and worst candies list and some tips for parents at Halloween.
Candies Ranked from Least to Worst:
1. Sugar-free gum - the least damaging
2. Powdered candy that dissolves quickly, poured directly on tongue (surprisingly not as bad for teeth as most other candy)
3. Dark chocolate and chocolate (York Peppermint Patties)
4. Chewy candy or sour chewy candy (most of 3TVs favorites - Sugar Babies, Skittles, Sour Patch Kids and Lemonade Mike-n-Ikes)
Tips to Parents:
1. Location, Location, Location. Place candy up high, out of sight, so children aren't constantly reminded of forbidden treats.
2. Halloween Dessert. Let children choose a few pieces after a meal when they are already full from healthy food and saliva production (which protects the teeth) has already been initiated from the meal.
3. Brush a Little Longer. Make it a game. Every time they eat a piece of candy they can run into the bathroom to brush their teeth, or supervise a longer brushing session each morning and night to combat candy damage.
4. Dr. Tough Guy (or Gal). If parents are struggling to take control of the candy situation at home, schedule a cleaning and let your dental professional be the tough guy/gal. At Scottsdale Dental Arts, we explain the pros and cons and give children options so they still feel they have some control of their hard-earned Halloween candy.
Phoenix 10K and Half Marathon
The Phoenix 10K and Half Marathon is this Sunday in downtown Phoenix. Registration starts at 6 a.m.
Superstorm Sandy Flight Delays and Cancellations
For flight information visit http://skyharbor.com/