Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
10600 E. Crescent Moon Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85262
4991 S. Alma School Rd, Ste. 101
Chandler, AZ 85248
At The Promenade at Fulton Ranch
Braised Duck Legs
2 ea duck legs
2 c yellow onion, diced
1 c carrot, diced
1 c celery, chopped
5 ea garlic cloves, peeled
4 ea thyme sprigs
2 ea bay leaves
¼ c tomato paste
1 ea carton chicken stock, 32 oz (or 2 cans)
2 T cooking oil (canola or vegetable)
1. Heat large Dutch oven or saucepan that can go into the oven on medium heat. Season duck with salt/pepper and add to hot pan, skin side down. Brown duck on each side and remove from pan.
2. Sauté vegetables in the same pan as the duck for a few minutes. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add tomato paste, herbs, chicken stock and return duck legs to pan.
3. Heat until simmering, then cover with a lid (or aluminum foil) and cook in 300º oven for 4 hours.
After the legs are cooked, strain the sauce and reduce in a pan on medium-low heat (simmering) until it coats the back of a spoon.
3 T black peppercorns
4 c red Port wine
2 c beef broth
1. Crush the peppercorns with a heavy pot or skillet.
2. Combine peppercorns, Port and broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half. Sauce should coat the back of a spoon.
*Duck legs can be easily found in Asian markets such as LeeLee. Some grocery stores sell whole ducks, but you would have to remove the legs yourself.
**Homemade or store purchased demi glace can be substituted for the beef broth in the Port sauce. In this case, you would reduce the port and add it to the warmed demi glace. Demi glace is available to purchase at gourmet grocers such as AJ’s Fine Foods.
For information on how to build a playground in your neighborhood, visit www.KaBOOM.org.
For health and well-being tips, visit www.Humana.com
For information about Society of St. Vincent de Paul and their services, visit www.stvincentdepaul.net
Attach any additional information reporter may find useful:
• The project is one of 18 playgrounds being built by Humana and KaBOOM! across the U.S. in 2012.
SheriAnne Nelson - www.NextLevelFitClub.com - 480-330-3763