SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Pack a dose of patience if you're headed to the Waste Management Phoenix Open this weekend. New, tighter security measures could make for long lines and long waits.
This is the first year of a new security initiative by the PGA, and it's already causing some delays. Things could get worse by later this weekend, when an estimated 200,000 people are expected to descend on the TPC in Scottsdale.
Folks can expect to be wanded and checked before even boarding the shuttle bus which transports guests to the site. Thursday, some patrons reported waiting up to 90 minutes to board a shuttle bus.
No more backpacks will be allowed. And ladies will only be allowed to carry in a purse that measures six-by-six inches. Everything else will have to be dumped into clear plastic bags.
There is also a zero-tolerance policy for underage drinking.
"The message is simple," officials tell us. "If you're not 21, don't come out. If you're on a bus, a lot of bars will pick up under 21 and drive them out. They are going to check.The Dept. of Liquor Licensing and Control had undercover agents all throughout the tournament this year. So, they will ticket you. You will be escorted out quickly."
Also new this year? A triage center has been set up for those who overindulge.
Here are the specifics of the new security measures:
- Bag inspection will be performed at all Admission Gates while gates are open.
- Opaque bags are not to exceed 6″x 6″x 6″ (in their natural state).
- Clear tote bags, plastic, vinyl, or other carry items are not to exceed 12″x 6″x 12″.
- Volunteers bringing additional items to their assigned shifts must use a clear bag that does not exceed 12″x 6″x 12″. All volunteers will pass through a security checkpoint prior to entering the golf course.
- The tournament will provide approved clear plastic bags at the main tournament entrance & shuttle drop-off points.
- Everyone attending the tournament is subject to search at the entrances and on the course at any time.
- Metal detecting wands will be used at each entrance gate on everyone including volunteers, spectators,
working staff, media, etc.
Prohibited Items List
- No Prohibited items will be permitted on any shuttles
- No Backpacks
- No Chair Bags
- No Lawn or over size chairs
- No Seat Cushions
- No pets except for service animals
- No Bicycles
- No opaque bags larger than 6”x6”x6” (in their natural state) will be permitted
- No clear tote bags, plastic, vinyl, or other carry items larger than 12″x 6″x 12″ will be permitted
- No Video Cameras at any time
- No Cameras permitted after Wednesday
- No Radios, Televisions, or other electronic noise producing items
- No Whistles, Horns or Noise Makers
- No Signs or Banners
- No Alcoholic Beverages may enter or leave the Tournament
- No outside Food or Beverages may enter the Tournament except for medical or infant needs
- No Plastic, Metal, or Glass Cups, Cans or Containers of any kind except for medical or infant needs
- No Coolers of any kind
- No Weapons of any kind may enter the tournament including but not limited to fire arms or knives
- No Computers or Laptops
- No Fireworks
- No Illegal Substances
- No Laser Pointers
- No Poles or Rods
- No other items deemed unlawful or dangerous by the PGA TOUR/Tournament Security Officials
Items Spectators will be allowed to bring into the tournament:
- Bags (opaque) not exceeding 6″x 6″x 6″in their natural state
- Clear tote bags, plastic, vinyl, or other carry items not exceeding 12″x 6″x 12″
- All mobile phones, tablets and PDA’s must be on silent mode and used in accordance with the posted Mobile Device Policy
- Sealed bottled water in approved bags
- Still Camera without case and Lens smaller than 6″ (Monday – Wednesday only)
- Umbrellas without sleeve
- Collapsible chairs, without chair bags
- Portable radios w/headset
- Strollers, plastic baby bottles, and other baby supplies, (infant must be with carrier)
- Binoculars without binocular case
- An exception will be made for fans needing to bring medical supplies into the tournament. These medically necessary items will be permitted after proper inspection at one of the admissions gates
- Binocular Case
- Camera Case
- Clear Backpack
- Tinted Plastic Bag
- Printed Pattern Plastic Bag
- Fanny Pack
- Seat Cushion
- Over sized Tote Bag
- Diaper Bag
- Mesh Bag