LITCHFIELD PARK, Ariz. -- Marmaduke and Scooby Doo, are some of the more famous Great Danes, but hundreds of these massive pooches and their handlers are in town this week, hanging out in the West Valley.
The annual Great Dane Club of America National Specialty Show is going on through Friday at the historic Wigwam in Litchfield Park. In addition to the dog show, there will also be events like parades, dog play and meet-and-greet.
It takes a massive amount of training to get the dogs physically ready for the confirmation competitions, which is essentially beauty contest, but there will also be competitions in agility and obedience.
There are six show-acceptable coat colors for Great Danes:
• Fawn, a yellowish gold color with a black mask.
• Brindle, where the color is fawn and black in a chevron stripe pattern, looks like Tiger strips.
• Blue, where the color is a pure steel blue with while marks all over the chest.
• Black, with white marks on the chest.
• Harlequin, which is basically white all over with black patches over the entire body.
Some 200 dogs are taking part in this big event, and everyone is invited to watch the action. It is a rare opportunity for any and everyone to see hundreds of Great Danes in one place.
The Great Dane show runs through Nov . 4 at the Wigwam Resort at 300 E. Wigwam in Litchfield Park. For more information log onto www.2011national.gdca.org.