Chef Dad's Southwestern Cream of Asparagus Soup
-3 bunches asparagus (bottom 2 inches of each stalk removed)
-1 onion (diced)
-1 jalapeño (minced)
-6 garlic cloves (minced)
-4 tbsp. butter
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1 Poblano pepper (roasted; stem, seeds and skin removed, then diced)*
-6 cups chicken stock
-1 cup heavy cream salt and pepper
1. Preheat your toaster oven or regular oven to 450 degrees. Put your Poblano peppers on a foil-lined pan, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the pepper skins are dark brown over most of the peppers. Remove them from the oven and place in a Ziploc bag, then close for 10 minutes. Remove them from the bag, peel the skins off, remove the stem and seeds from the inside, then dice. Set aside.
2. After removing the bottom few inches of the asparagus, discard those ends. Slice your remaining asparagus into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
3. In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt your butter and olive oil together. Then add your asparagus, onion, jalapeño and garlic, plus 2 tablespoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Sauté everything together for 15 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock, diced Poblanos and cream, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste the mixture for seasoning if you think it needs any. Turn off heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
5. Move mixture in batches into your food processor or blender with the center piece removed from the lid. Only fill a little over halfway. Cover top opening with a towel and pulse a few times to make sure you won't get overflow from the soup being too hot. Increase speed to puree until mixture is smooth and consistent. Repeat with remaining batches. Serve with garlic or Parmesan croutons.
Cooks Notes: *The Poblano pepper is optional but gives the soup a nice southwestern flavor. You can always substitute with a small can of diced green chilies. If you're sensitive to slightly spicy food, remove the stems and seeds from the jalapeño before using it or eliminate the jalapeño from the recipe all together. This recipe makes about 12 cups of soup.