EL MIRAGE, Ariz. -- An El Mirage family is devastated after their dogs were mysteriously poisoned over the weekend.
The four dachshunds were rushed to the Emergency Animal Clinic in Peoria on Saturday after the owners found them vomiting and acting very odd at their home near El Mirage and Cactus roads.
"We started to recognize the dogs were also staggering around, which led us to believe it might have been something more than just an upset stomach," one of the owners said.
While the family doesn't want to be identified, they are hoping for answers.
The clinic found fatal amounts of a toxin in the dogs. The substance is most commonly found in antifreeze.
"If the animals are exhibiting signs that they have received ethylene glycol, treatment is really only effective if we are within eight hours of ingestion," said veterinarian Holly Dougherty.
At that point, the toxins had been in their systems too long and they had developed kidney failure. The owners decided to put all of the dogs to sleep.
The family had just moved to Arizona in July. They said they do not allow their dogs into the garage where their vehicles are kept and did not have antifreeze or other chemicals stored on the property in an area accessible to the animals.
They said that they don't know how the dogs got sick or why anyone would do it, but they feel as though they were intentionally poisoned.