Chef Dad’s Queso Fundido
8 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
8 oz. Pepper Jack Cheese (shredded)
1/2 lb. Pork Chorizo (ground, without casing)
1/2 lb. Ground Beef
1/2 Cup Onion (diced)
1 Jalapeno (diced small)
1 Pablano Pepper (roasted, skin peeled, seeds removed & diced)*
1 Tbsp. Butter
Salt & Pepper
1) Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Fry chorizo & ground beef together until fully cooked and chop it up into small pieces while it’s being cooked. Remove from pan, drain fat and set aside.
3) Use the same frying pan and add 1 Tbsp. butter then sauté onion & jalapeno with a few heavy pinches of salt & pepper until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Put cooked onion & jalapeno in the same bowl as the cooked meat along and your roasted, diced pablano and mix well.
4) In a casserole dish, first put your meat mixture in then top it off with your cheeses. Bake for 20 minutes then serve immediately.
5) Spoon desired amount over warm tortilla and roll up. Have some of your favorite salsa or taco sauce available to pour over mixture before rolling up.
Cooks Notes: *Roasting a pablano pepper is done by putting it in a 450 degree oven or toaster oven for about 20 minutes until skin is dark brown. Take the cooked pepper out of the oven and put in a Ziploc bag, closed for 5 minutes. Remove and peel off the skin & stem then open it up and get rid of the seeds before dicing. If you can find a supermarket that carries Mexican Chihuahua cheese, use 16 oz. of that sometime. You can warm tortillas at the last minute by wrapping them in paper towels and put in microwave on high for 20 seconds. Finally, if you don’t feel like roasting a pablano pepper, buy a small can of diced green chilies instead.
For more information on Chef Dad go to :www.chefdad.com