BLACK BEAN HUMMUS
Recipe courtesy Melissa d'Arabian
Inactive Prep Time:
4 servings (3/4 cup hummus)
• 1 cup cooked black beans
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until almost smooth. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
KALE SALAD WITH BLOOD ORANGES
By Tiffani Bachus, RD
1 bunch black kale (about 1 pound)
4 small blood oranges segmented, juice reserved (about 3 tablespoons juice),
¼ c roasted pine nuts
2 tsp. lemon juice,
1 minced garlic clove
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Wash kale and pat off excess water. If the center stems are tender enough to eat, simply trim the bottom inch or two. If the center stems are thick or tough, cut or tear them off and discard or save for another dish. Slice leaves crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons.
In a large bowl, whisk together the blood orange juice, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a good crack of black pepper. Add the kale, pine nuts and toss the dressing into the leaves. Add the blood orange segments and toss to combine.
Let stand for 20 minutes.
Note: Kale salad can last up 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
OVEN-ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES
By Tiffani Bachus, RD and Erin Macdonald, RD of www.Urockgirl.com
• 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch rounds
• 2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch rounds
• 2 cups pearl onions, skins removed (if you can find white, purple, and yellow onions, it makes for a nice color presentation)
• 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
• 4 baby turnips, halved
• 1 Tbsp. mixed fresh herbs
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• ¼ cup orange juice
• Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and coat with olive oil coking spray.
2. Coat the vegetables in olive oil and orange juice and place the vegetables onto the baking sheets. Toss with the fresh herbs, and a small amount of salt and pepper.
Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Stir once and cook another 5-10 minutes or until fork tender and lightly golden brown. Remove and place in a serving bowl.