PHOENIX -- If you’re on Facebook, you may have noticed a new group gaining a lot of popularity. It’s called the Crock Pot Girls, a group of women in Texas who came together just to create a forum to share recipes.
Since they began on Aug. 19, the group has garnered more than a million “likes.” Now, their popularity is rubbing off on a local Facebook group called the Funky Freezer Girls. Jackie Wheeler, who started the group, joined Tess and Yetta to share a little bit about how the group works and an easy recipe for those looking to get started.
Chicken and Bean Tacos (recipe shared by Jen Spencer)
1-1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6)
3 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
1 can (4-1/2 oz.) chopped green chiles, undrained (omit if you’re not a fan)
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. crushed coriander seed
1 can (9 oz.) beans – I like to do black beans, but you can also use cannellini, butter or pinto beans
Taco shells or tortillas
Desired toppings, like shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, etc.
1. Place the chicken in your slow cooker (3-1/2 to 4 quart size). Sprinkle with taco seasoning mix and top with green chiles.
2. Mix tomato sauce, cumin and coriander in a bowl and then pour over chicken.
3. Top with beans.
4. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
5. Shred chicken in cooker and mix with beans.
6. Serve as you like! Soft tortillas or crunchy – or even with chips like nachos.