2 lbs. Ground Beef (preferably 85% lean ground chuck)
1 lb. Italian Sausage (packaged or links with casing removed)
1 Cup Onion (diced)
1 Cup Red bell pepper (diced)
1 Cup Celery (diced)
2 Tbsp. Garlic (diced fine)
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Eggs (lightly beaten)
¼ Cup Parsley (diced fine)
¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
1 Cup Bread Crumbs (Italian Blend)
for the glaze…
¼ Cup Ketchup
1 Tbsp. Worchester sauce
¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a large frying pan over medium high heat, melt your butter. When butter has melted and starts to bubble, add onion, bell pepper & celery. Sprinkle with a few heavy pinches of salt, pepper. Sauté for about 6-8 minutes until they are nice and tender. Add the diced garlic and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat, put in a bowl and set aside.
3) In a small bowl, combine and mix well your ingredients to make your glaze, cover with plastic wrap then set aside.
4) In a large bowl or in a stand mixer with the hook attachment, add the meat, cooked veggies, beaten eggs, parsley, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs plus 1 Tbsp. kosher salt & 1 tsp. black pepper. Mix well.
5) Put a piece of aluminum foil on your work surface and place mixed meat on top of that. Form your meatloaf in the center of the foil then pick up foil with meat and transfer it onto a baking rack sitting inside of a 1-2” deep baking pan. Pour about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top and rub gently around the entire loaf. Bake for 30 minutes then remove from oven. Paint your glaze generously over the meatloaf then put back in the oven for about 30-45 more minutes until middle of meat is at 155 degrees. Remove from the oven, gently cover with a towel and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting & serving.
Serves 8-10 people
Cooks Note: Serve this meal with mashed potatoes and gravy.