1 lb. Ground Beef
½ lb. Ground Chorizo (pork is preferable)
16 Corn Tortillas
1 Head of Lettuce
1 Bunch Green Onions (a.k.a. scallions)
1 (8 oz.) Bag of finely shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
1 Qt. Corn Oil
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
½ tsp. Garlic Salt
Salt & Pepper
1) Core your tomatoes, then slice & dice into small pieces. Put tomatoes into a bowl with a few heavy pinches of salt & pepper. Toss to mix then cover and put in refrigerator.
2) Remove core of lettuce and shred into small strips like you would for coleslaw then place in a large bowl. Finely dice the green part only of your scallions and add to the lettuce. Add cheese and toss together. Cover and place in fridge until later.
3) Put 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Fry ground beef & chorizo with a few pinches of salt & pepper until fully cooked. Drain fat. Turn off heat & cover to keep warm.
4) Drain tomatoes then add them to the bowl with your lettuce. Add garlic salt & toss well to combine. Only do this when you are almost ready to serve. The garlic salt will wilt the lettuce if it sits on it too long.
5) Heat large pot or iron skillet with corn oil to 350 degrees. Place corn tortillas in hot oil for about 8-10 seconds per side only. Remove them and immediately fold in half to form a taco then set on paper towel.
6) Scoop meat mixture into taco then add lettuce mixture on top. Serve with your favorite taco sauce on the side.
Cooks Note: Having someone else assemble the tacos while you fry & fold the tortillas keeps things moving faster for serving them nice and warm. Serve these with your favorite Spanish rice and or refried beans. You can always use flour tortillas or the ones pre-cooked in a box. But, the fried corn tortillas shown above are incredible.