Statements from Bruce Cooper


Posted on August 15, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Updated Monday, Aug 24 at 10:33 AM

The following statements were issued by channel 12 sports anchor Bruce Cooper:

Friday, March 6:

Thursday at 5PM, we received new information on the events of last Saturday and decided to discontinue the search for Marquis and his friends.

We want to thank everyone in Arizona, Tampa, and all over the United States for their thoughts, well-wishes, prayers and volunteer efforts on our behalf. We especially want to thank the members of the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Air Force, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife agency for their extraordinary and courageous efforts to rescue Marquis and his friends.

We are beginning the process of healing. We are staying prayerful. One day the pain will be a little less burdensome. Right now, we just need time to be together and remember Marquis.

Many of you have asked about a memorial or prayer service for Marquis. The family has decided to forgo any such service and asks instead that all of you memorialize Marquis in your hearts and thoughts.

Marquis was a great father and husband and a great provider for his family. His daughter and wife Rebekah will be o.k.; they just need time to heal.

Monday, March 2:

Tonight we are joining our family and friends in Tampa who have been supporting us through this difficult time.We remain hopeful that Marquis will be found and returned to us.

We are overwhelmed by all of you who have called, sent text messages and e-mails wishing us the best.My cell phone message box has been full most of the day with calls from NFL coaches and players, college coaches and players, friends in the Phoenix news media and sports team, and people we've met in our time here in the Valley.I am writing down every message and when this is all over, I will be in touch to thank you personally for thinking of Marquis and our family.

Sunday, March 1:

I truly appreciate the overwhelming number of phone calls, text messages and support relative to Marquis and his friends missing at sea.My wife and I learned of the situation when we received a call at about 7 am from the parents of Marquis' wife, Rebekah. We were told the Coast Guard began searching at around 2 am EST but was unable to send a helicopter up at the time because of bad weather.By 9 am the weather had calmed and a helicopter was sent up to aid in the search.Marquis went deep sea fishing with his friends around 5 am Saturday morning.He routinely stays out on the water 12-14 hours but when his wife hadn't heard from him by 9 pm Saturday night, she started making calls to check on him.

Marquis is an avid fisherman; he goes deep sea fishing any opportunity he gets.Two years ago I went deep sea fishing with him.I swore I would never do so again; I didn't like the fact that I couldn't see land.Needless to say I am very concerned.I am praying and hoping for the best.Marquis was scheduled to report in Oakland on March 16 to began off-season workouts with the Oakland Raiders.

Again, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.